A few days ago I got an email from a reader regarding an article I wrote back in February. If you remember my FrogLube and Seal 1 article, I was contacted by an industry insider who gave me a brief history of Seal 1, TrackLube, and FrogLube. Well, it turns out that not only do people actually read my blog, but at least one of my readers has some history with these lubricants and Scott Lee.
Well, it’s been a week since I posted about the FrogLube/Seal 1/Track Lube controversy. Since then another story has come out regarding FrogLube being coconut oil with an added minty scent. Since I haven’t run my own IR of coconut oil or NMR of the pair to compare them, I can’t say for sure on that one just yet. But that doesn’t matter as much to me. What matters is that I already accomplished my goal. I didn’t expect my original testing of lubricants with Vuurwapen Blog to go very far on its own. I just wanted to show people that they could do their own testing, and bring some actual science into the discussion of these “wonder lubes.” And now that people are doing their own tests, I can say I was successful. Everything else that’s happened since then is just a bonus. The main point is that I tricked people into doing science. So haha, I won.
A few weeks ago I received an email through the “Contact Me” tab at the top of my blog’s home page. The person claimed that they “have a point of view that would be very valuable to you and your findings,” regarding my FrogLube/Track Lube/Seal 1 testing. A few follow up emails and a phone call later, I got quite a bit more than I had first expected.
Several months back I contacted Andrew Tuohy of Vuurwapen Blog and offered to do some chemical analysis for a variety of firearms lubricants. Now that the last of the results have been posted, I wanted to write up some sort of conclusion for the project.
Except it looks like this project is far from over…